Friday, July 3, 2015

Full Speech: Jim Carrey's Commencement Address at the 2014 MUM Graduatio...

I rediscovered this video, having first seen it about a year ago. It couldn't have come at a more opportune time.

Jim tells the story of his dad working at a job he hated--a job he eventually lost.  The "playing it safe route" had no guarantee, Jim decided, so he might as well do something he loved. "You can fail at what you don't want so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." --Jim Carrey.

He follows "The Church of Freedom From Concern.

I've been going through some doubts recently. Am I on the right path? Where is my audience? How can I be true to myself, sometimes making darker pieces that don't seem to be commercial, but which I feel compelled to make? How do you watch others gallop ahead, discover the things you knew first, years ago? When you say, I knew that, I did that, you then appear disingenuous? I promise you, I don't think of these things all the time, but I would be lying if I said sometimes those feelings aren't triggered.

And then I happen to see this video again and Jim says, "Your need for acceptance can make you invisible in this world." "Relax, and dream up a good life." And it reaffirms that I am on the right path, my path. I want it sped up, of course. I want some sign that I'm supposed to take this fork and not that fork in the road, but I guess I just have to continue to "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" as the Winter Warlock sings in "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town." (I've posted that clip before in the last few years, just have to every once in awhile remind myself!)

Back to Jim Carrey and more of my favorite quotes of his:

"...Letting the universe know what you want and working toward it while letting go of how it comes to pass. Your job is not to figure out the how (this totally sounds like "The Secret") it's going to happen for you, but to open the door in your head and when the door opens in real life, just walk through it. And don't worry if you miss your cue, there's always doors opening."

"I am just making a conscious choice to perceive challenges as something beneficial so I can deal with them in the most productive way."

Really, listen for yourself. I think I'm going to every day for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment