Saturday, April 25, 2015

Generation Gap at the Movies

About a month ago, I was re-watching the HBO Documentary, "Banksy Does New York" in which the elusive British street/graffiti artist, Banksy, made a new work of art each day for a month in October 2013.  At times, people actually removed his artwork from it's location or covered it up and made people pay money in order to see it and take a picture of it.  I think my favorite part is when he had an old man in the park sell original Banksy paintings for $60 each, and people just walked on by.  The few who did buy some of his artwork found out later that each of their pieces was worth 10's of 1,000's of dollars--such irony.

Flash foward to this past week, and I began drawing over this speckled watercolor sheet I had.  An elongated blob on the left side of the page looked like a man to me, or a shadow, and I pulled the ink out to form him more.  Anyway, that's how my modern day theater developed.

For more on Banky check out his website http://banksy.co.uk/. If you have amazonPRIME, you can watch his 2010 film, "Exit Through the Gift Shop" for free.  People say it's about Banksy himself, Banksy says it not.  Whether tongue-in-cheek or not, it's great and an insightful look at the drive to be an artist/filmmaker and what an artist is.


No comments:

Post a Comment