Sunday, February 15, 2015

RIP Philip Levine

Goodbye, Philip Levine, Poet Laureate and Pulitzer Prize winner, and champion of the working class.

Quote from interview with the Paris Review:
"I realized that I wanted to enter my life exactly as I had the first time, but with one huge difference:  this time I wanted to love my life and myself."
And this beautiful line of observation from his poem, "The Last Shift" on the closing of the Detroit Packard plant (Hear in his own voice from the Detroit Free Press here):
"A police car dozed across the street, its motor running. I could see the two of them eating jelly doughnuts as delicately as two elderly women and drinking their coffee from little styrofoam cups."
When a writer or poet dies of such import--no, I will say of any import--I visualize their beautiful words, swirling around and within their souls, down into the ground, into the flames, into the sky, forever and always intertwined with their essence of existence and a gift to anyone--that number ever diminishing--who will hear and read them.


Click here for the NY Times Obituary

Click here for Comcast's Obit, which was very good, but which disappeared from the main page after just a few hours to be replaced by a star's 2nd pregnancy announcement.  For a reason such is this, I write this blog.

Any finally, this excellent clip of the film, "Packard:  The Last Shift."  Please watch, it's so good, haunting, moving.

 How he started.


No comments:

Post a Comment